2007 UKC World Champion
Bellar's Janice Joplin
White River Boone
1951 - 1952
1955 - 1956 - 1958
Deep River Mike
Stan's Sailor Boy
Stan's Sailor Jr.
Claxton's Finley River Spot
Spring Creek Smokey
Mathis Carolina Casey
Robb's Danny Boy
Vance's Crowding Billy
Swinney's Diamond Jim
House's Tom Tom
Hern's Red Eagle Dick
Kentucky River Striker
Boggy Creek Bonnie
Smith's Ohio Clipper
Buck Creek Gracie
Mack's Little Joe
Campbell's Bluegrass Luther
Bristol Ridge Spring
Smith's Ohio Cindy
Ward's Hardwood Hank
William's Lipper Dee
Abby Creek Earnhart
KY. Swamp Buggy II
Buck Creek Mr. Smith
Buck Creek Mr. Smith
Split Creek History Quick
Bellar's Janice Joplin
Luckett's Old Duke
Fall River Polly
Luckett's Old Duke
Hawk's Traxx Attack
There are a lot more that will be added soon.
The Treeing Walker was developed from certain strains of English Walker Foxhounds. The credit for the development of the Walker Foxhound goes to two men - George Washington Maupin and John W. Walker. Both men were from Kentucky.
Before that time Thomas Walker of Albemarle County, Virginia, imported hounds from England in 1742. George Washington, who was an avid fox hunter, also imported several hounds from England in 1770. These dogs became the foundation strains of the "Virginia hounds", which were developed into the Walker hounds.
At least one major outcross was made in the 19th century that was to forever influence the breed. Strangely, the outcross was with a stolen dog from Tennessee of unknown origin, known as "Tennessee Lead."
Lead didn't look like the Virginia strain of English Foxhounds of that day. But he had an exceptional amount of game sense, and plenty of drive and speed and a clear, short mouth.
Walkers were first registered with U.K.C. as part of the English Coonhound breed. Then in 1945, at the request of Walker breeders, U.K.C. began registering them as a separate breed - first as Walkers (Treeing) and then later as Treeing Walkers.
After a long battle with Parkinson's disease, Lester Nance, of Arcadia, Indiana joined many of his hunting friends and their Lord, on December 9, 2001. He was born December 18, 1912, thus only 9 days short of 89 years old, and essentially all of it in his beloved Hamilton County.
Lester was a farmer that specialized in performance tested Purebred Yorkshire hogs, which he exhibited at the Indiana State Fair for over 50 consecutive years, and was well known for his enduring love and devotion to the TREEING WALKER HOUND.
Lester's first coon hunt was in November of 1926, and although disease made his body unable to actually participate, his mind was still with the hounds, and the many friends they brought him until his death. He had watched closely the Walker Foxhounds in his area that would tree game, not just run track, and in October of 1932 gave $13 cash and two bags of pig supplement for a 7 month old black & white male he named White River King. The name was used, because it was in the bottoms and banks of the White River where he and his good friend Ted Hosier (who died on the same day as Lester), spent their nights during the Great Depression.
White River King became well respected amongst all coonhunters of the area, and generated a whole new level for those that enjoyed the sport. Beginning in 1942, Lester contacted both AKC and UKC about starting a registry for his Walkers, but they were not interested in doing so. Finally, in May of 1943 the Full Cry Kennel Club recognized them as a breed, and White River King was the first recorded. In July of 1944 Lester advertised a litter of pups for $35 each, this was the first advertisement ever, using the words "Treeing Walkers". In this ad, he noted that he did not breed for length of ear, but what was between the ears.
After much discussion and several meetings, United Kennel Club did recognize the breed in 1946. But, as many of you know, they were registered as English Coonhound (Walker Treeing). They were registered this way until 1978, until pressure from the breeders, and a change of philosophy of the UKC finally gave way to the original name of 35 years before. White River King was again the first pedigree issued within this new breed, and thus the "ORIGINAL TREEING WALKER"
The first meeting of breeders to organize the first National Treeing Walker Association was held at the Nance farm in 1946, and was attended by about 40 people, including the entire Nance family, Russell Baker, George Zenk, Floyd Reeder, Albert Hopkins, and Stanley Knott. All would play important roles in getting the organization off the ground. The first National Treeing Walker Days was held the Walnut Grove School located about ¾ mile from the Nance farm in 1951, and was won by a son of White River Boone. Lester also had the first Treeing Walker Field Champion and Bench Champion. He also sat in on the committee that organized and designed bench shows, which is basically to same format followed today.
In 1949 Lester and his long time hunting companion Gleasel Harris traveled to Springfield, Ohio to the ACHA World Hunt. For those of a younger generation, this is when there was just "one" all breed national hunt a year, and it was by far the most important hunt held each year. When all the dust had settled, Lester had the first Treeing Walker to be called a World Champion in White River Boone, which he had purchased from Bernard Hole, and the Reserve World Champion was White River Rowdy, both Lester's and daughter Beth's all time favorite female, and daughter of White River King.
Perhaps the most important thing that occurred during this era, was that the Nance, Hole, Hosier, Harris, Dague and Emmert families have kept in touch and small children of that time now tell their grandchildren of the same experiences and relationships that the first Treeing Walkers made possible.
Lester stayed active for many more years, and produced dogs that were known to run track with the best anywhere. Many were used by big game hunters, and advertised as Nance Bred Hounds. Bob Marosock of Sheridan, Wyoming did much to continue the strain, when health problems began to limit Lester's ability to participate in hunts. However, at this point he had set the stage for breeders like Duane Clark, Jim Merchant, Joe House, John Monroe, J.C. Ellis, and others to take the breed on to new heights and accomplishments.
Lester's last active appearance at a National Event was at the Walker Days in Kalamazoo, Michigan where he was photographed with House's Lipper, Nocturnal Nailor, and Rock River Sackett Jr. These were and may still be the three most influential dogs of the breed, and could all be traced though extended pedigrees, to the Original Treeing Walkers that he so loved. It also connected him to another generation of Walker breeders, McCallister, Dickerson, and Giddings.
Along with his registry and breeding accomplishments, Lester was blessed with three grandsons, Kip and Trent Gordon of Arcadia and Cicero, and Mic Newby of Carthage, Indiana all of which hunt as much as they can, and have some of the closest relatives to the "originals" as possible. They process the appreciation and drive that Lester passed along to them, and in their own way have contributed to the breed. .
Daughter Beth (Snedegar), who can be found in many of the old pictures and records, played an active role in breed activities for 25 years, and has shown many Walkers to local, state, and national championships. Granddaughter Tricia has followed closely in the same footsteps. Beth could often be found curled up with Rowdy when she was small. On December 20 of 1934, Lester married Imogene Carson, and together they spent the next 67 years. They raised 4 children, Alan Nance of Augusta, Georgia; Lou Lee of Tipton, Indiana; Ann Gordon of Arcadia, Indiana; and Beth Snedegar of Vermontville, Michigan. They influenced together, 12 grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren.
Imogene could always be counted upon to have plenty to eat for both the hunters and swine exhibitors alike, and came to know all that visited them. Together they were secretary to the Indiana Yorkshire Swine Association for 25 years, and watched over the 4-H swine show at both the Hamilton County Fair and the Indiana State Fair. They had several champions, the first Certified Meat Sire through the Indiana Swine Evaluation Station, and were inducted into the Indiana Livestock Breeders Hall of Fame. They also found time to play an active role in the Republican Party.
Lester was buried under a stone the two had special made several years ago. Etched in the stone between them, is White River King, from a photo taken in 1933. The cemetery is located near a creek where Lester used to hunt, and empties within 2-3 miles into the White River, and about 4 miles from where King was buried in 1946.
Although no longer physically with us, he still lives in every "TREEING WALKER" put down on a track!!!!
Treeing Walker Breeders and Fanciers Association
HALL OF FAME
The names in red have Finley River Bloodlines in them.
|1968||Johnson's Banjo||1970||Miller's Roxie|
|1968||Merchant's Bawlie||1970||Bixler's Supreme Sally|
|1968||Shelter's Sonny Boy||1970||House's Queen|
|1968||Miller's Little Joker||1970||Merchant's Fannie|
|1968||Incredible Rock||1971||Hart's Queen|
|1969||White River King||1971||R&R Little Mille|
|1969||Motley's Missouri Major||1972||Lincoln's Babe|
|1970||White River Boone||1972||Goodwin's Little Jewel|
|1970||Merchant's Banjo II||1972||None|
|1970||Deep River Mike||1973||Eby's Sally|
|1970||Spring Creek Smokey||1974||Hershberger's Kansas Babe|
|1971||Katie's Rowdy||1975||Shady Lake Melody Ann|
|1971||Finley River Spot||1976||Kentucky Jude|
|1971||Carolina Casey||1977||Finley River Queen|
|1971||Stan's Sailor Boy||1978||Kentucky River Jill|
|1972||House's Bawlie||1979||Finley River Kate|
|1972||Illinois Mack||1980||Buffalo River Queen|
|1972||Stan's Sailor Jr.||1981||Dohoney's Cadillac|
|1973||Cherry River Banjo||1982||Pfeister's Little Judy|
|1974||Indiana Boone Boy||1983||White River Rowdy|
|1974||Finley River Chief||1984||Derickson's Singing Patches|
|1975||Gann's Finnisher||1985||Magill's Lone Pine Jill|
|1975||Vance's Crowding Billy||1986||Willow Slough Kate|
|1975||House's Chief||1987||Tinsley's Kansas Tess|
|1976||Tennessee Lead||1988||House's Queen Lou|
|1976||Shady Lake Bawlie||1989||Richies Rockewell Dawn|
|1977||Finley River Pete||1990||Daniel's Big Dot|
|1978||Finley River Joe||1991||Hern's Crowding Cindy|
|1979||Boone Creek Mike||1992||Logan's Wild Julie|
|1979||Swinney's Diamond Jim||1993||McKissick Creek Tabitha|
|1980||Rob's Danny Boy||1993||Tony's Wild Joey|
|1980||Mears Finley River Dan||1994||Easy Goin Eileen|
|1981||Wagoner's Bandit||1995||Burning Fork Jewell|
|1981||Spring Creek Rock||1996||Kerting's Seven Mile Sue|
|1982||McCallister's Finley River Banjo||1997||Neosho River Checkers|
|1983||Gold Creek Mundo||1998||Schmersal's Stylish Queen|
|1983||House's Tom Tom||1999||Logan's Wild Jeanie|
|1983||Beanblossom Buck||2000||Moll's Salt Creek Ann|
|1984||Hershberger's Oklahoma Spot||2001||Buck Creek Gracie|
|1985||Tablerock Flying Hawk||2002||Skean's Dolly|
|1985||Lewis' Rebel||2003||Tarheel Peggy|
|1986||Mullins' Sugar Creek Rip||2003||Miller's Candy|
|1986||Miller's Rock||2004||Abbott's Big Horn Daisy|
|1987||Kaw River Chief|
|1988||Moffet's W.C. Deamon|
|1988||River Bend Flag|
|1990||Beaver Lake Magic|
|1990||Red Eagle Dick|
|1991||Ball's Hickory Nut Harry|
|1992||Spring Creek Radar|
|1993||Norman's Coon Stopper|
|1995||Loagn's Wild Clover|
|1996||Indian Creek Pride|
|1996||Rock River Banjo|
|1996||Smith's Hillbilly Mac|
|1996||Kentucky River Striker|
|1996||Rock River Ring|
|1997||Hi Country Nite Heat|
|1998||Neosho River Jet|
|1998||Bellar's Pac Man|
|1999||Wick's Stylish Banjo|
|2000||Yadkin Tar Rattler|
|2000||Meier's Wildwood Bo|
|2001||Rains Banjo Jr.|
|2001||Spring Creek Foot|
|2001||Minkler's Kansas Rock|
|2003||Yadkin River Jeff|
|2003||Rock River Sackett Jr.|
|2004||Simpon's Blue River Finn|
2009 ACHA World Champion Coonhound Owned by John J. Monroe
GrNtCh Toller's Buck Creek Buck
NtCh Buck Creek Hammer
GrNtCh Dyers Buck Creek Tex
GrNtCh Buck Creek Drum
John's Hardwood Ann
Tree Talking Sissy
DualGrCh Toller's Treeing Drum
NtCh Poe's Tree Picking Snoopy
DualGrCh House's Lipper
Poe's Tree Picking Sally
DualGrCh Guess' Deanwood Drifter
NtCh Bentley's Brush Fk. Bonnie
Rocky Run Sadie
GrChNtCh Tar Heel Nitro
ChGrNtCh Rock River Sackett Jr
GrNtCh Rock River Sackett
GrNtCh Skean's Dolly
NtCh Maple Ridge Rudy
GrNtCh Yadkin Tar Rattler
GrCh Pearson's Miss Lipper
GrNtCh Little Buck Creek Rose
GrNtCh Minkler's Kansas Storm
DualGrCh Minkler's Ks. Dancer
Futz's Singing Susie
GrNtCh Duck Creek Star
In November, 1852, on the 20th day, Adam Maupin died. The date is recorded on a sandstone marker along with date of birth and the fact that he was the son of T. J. and Jane Maupin. He was 12 days past six years old.
Except for the incident that Jeff Maupin's older brother, Wash, on his way home that day from Harris' blacksmith shop, stopped by the house, the date on the stone marker would long ago have been forgotten, for pioneer Kentucky was long accustomed to bornings and buryings.
Madison county had not yet recovered from the shock of other events which foreshadowed the great changes soon to come. Henry Clay had died in the June before, closely followed by Daniel Webster, while members of the greedy capitalistic system had financed a railroad, and construction was already under way out of Louisville toward the State of Tennessee. In March a book came off the press which lit the fuse of the bomb that blew the states apart for four long years. It was a best seller called "Uncle Tom's Cabin."
The story in the book was about General Kennedy's Negro man. Tom, whose cabin stood across the branch, in a hackberry thicket, from the farm where Bob Walker died. By our time the old Kennedy mansion was in ruins, standing in the center of a cornfield, stripped of its colonial columns and shutters as bleak as a skull in the wintertime. General Kennedy had married the widow of William Woods Kavanaugh, who had died six years before when trying to swim his horse across the Tennessee river. The general brought her and the children back to Kentucky from Franklin county, Tenn. Among the children was a daughter, Jane Miller, aged eleven. She rates this record because she later married John Williams Walker and mothered four sons, Stephen, Edwin, Archibald K. and John Wade.
The reason for here recording the date of the death of little Adam Maupin is that when his uncle stopped at the house on the Crooksville pike that day he was carrying on the pommel of his saddle a rat-tailed, tight-haired black and tan deer hound that he carried on home to Hunter's Rest . . . and called by the name of Tennessee Lead.
Excerpt from "History of the Walker Hound" by Bob Lee maddux
Adam Maupin's' uncle was George Washington Maupin ,who had obtained Tennessee
Lead from Tom Harris, a stock drover . Tom Harris had caught The black and tan
hound out of a deer chase near the Kentucky and Tennessee line and carried him
In the early 1850's Red Fox began to appear in Kentucky. Prior to 1855, only
Gray Fox inhabited Madison County, but that year, A Red Fox found his way into the
area from Estill County. All of the local hunters Gray Fox hounds and Deer hounds
were baffled by this new wide running fox. All But one, George W. Maupin's'
Tennessee Lead. Lead jumped the Red Fox and ran it all day , with snow covering the
ground ,until he ran it into its' den at Round Mountain in Estill County. This was the
first Kentucky hound to jump and run to ground a Red Fox. Lead was no better Gray
Fox or Deer hound than those owned by other local hunters .The Trait that made him
famous was the Red Fox know-how he brought with him from Tennessee . From that
day, all the local hunters wanted a litter of pups sired by Tennessee Lead.
The first hound bred to Tennessee Lead was a female called Red May, jointly owned
by Thomas Howard Maupin (brother of George Washington Maupin), Speedwell Road
and Alfred Johnson. This mating took place on November 20, 1852 the same day
that George Washington Maupin obtained Lead from Thomas Harris. This mating
produced the hound White Mag, who was later sold to George Washington Maupin.
In 1857 William Fleming, an English importer ,purchased two black, white and tan English hounds in England and shipped them to William Jason Walker in Kentucky. One of the hounds was a male by the name of Rifler. The other was a bitch in whelp by the name of Marth. Marth had been bred in England to a dog that is unknown.
On the same night that they arrived in Kentucky, Rifler was carried on a hunt, Marth being to heavy with pups to go. Rifler proved that he knew the ways of the Red Fox.
When Marth's English pups were born, There was one Female and four males. The Tan and white Female was crippled when she was ran over by a wagon , crushing one of her feet. She was named Mash Foot, and was still a good foxhound in spite of being crippled. She was a good breeder and whelped several good litters of puppies. The Four males were named Fox (belonged to Jason Walker), Bally (belonged to Durett White), Bragg (belonged to Jeff Maupin) and Troop (belonged to Jack Martin).
Marth was later bred to Tennessee Lead but she died before the pups were born.
Marth and Rifler and the five pups were the Imported stock of 1857 and are noted in Walker hound history with the Imp. preceding their names such as Imp.Rifler , Imp.Bragg Etc.. These hounds and the Ben Robinson male hound from Maryland (White Tickler were crossed on the old deer hounds and the hounds from Pennsylvania (Florence and Vic, both bitches) crossed on Tennessee Lead). These crosses made up the Early breed of Walker hounds.
More Walker Hound History
(From July 1923 TheChase Magazine)
By C. J. Prouty, 1907.
By C. J. Prouty, 1907. (From July 1923 TheChase Magazine)
George Washington Maupin (Left), Tennessee Lead and William J. Walker (Right)
History of the American Foxhound
The Beginning of the American Foxhound is older than the United States. When the first settlers arrived on these shores, some brought hounds. Importation of Irish, English, and French hounds down through the years have been crossed and re-crossed until a hound suitable for conditions in this country had evolved.
Most of the early leaders of the American colonies were lovers of the chase. They worked very hard to have the best they could breed in the foxhound line. George Washington maintained a large pack of hounds at Mount Vernon. He took great pride in his hounds, and continually sought to improve them. In 1770, he imported a number of hounds from England, and in 1785, the Frenchman, La Fayette, shipped him a number of French foxhounds. It was said the their voices were like the "Bells of Moscow". These Virginia hounds were one of the foundation-stones of the American Foxhound.
There are a number of different strains in existence today that are recognized as American Foxhounds. The most popular is the Walker, followed by July, Trigg, Calhoun, Hudspeth and Goodman. The Walker, Goodman and Trigg strains can all be traced to Madison County, Kentucky and a stolen hound called Tennessee Lead. According to legend, this hound was stolen out of a deer chase in Tennessee a few miles south of Albany, Kentucky by a trader in November 1852. This trader carried this rat-tailed, tight-haired black and tan hound to Madison County where he was sold to George Washington (Wash) Mauphin. The origin and breeding of this hound is unknown, but because of his speed and ability to run a red fox, he was used extensively at stud. His get were crossed on imported hounds from England, native Kentucky, Maryland and Birdsong hounds from Georgia. Out of these crosses came the three major strains: Walker, Trigg and July. Tennessee Lead can be found approximately 30 or so generations back in many modern AKC Walker-origin showhound lineages. However, probably the most influential and more modern foxhound sire represented in many Walker-origin 10 generation showhound pedigrees is CH Kentucky Lake Bugle Boy, who is back about 7-9 generations from current day hounds and about 22 generations more recent than Lead.
The Walker strain was first known as Mauphin hounds in Kentucky, but Wash Mauphin, while breeding some wonderful hounds, failed to keep many records. It was left to the Walker brothers to use a careful method of breeding and record keeping on the Mauphin hounds. This led to great results. They shipped a large number of hounds to Texas shortly after the Civil War, and it was there that this strain was first called Walkers. This name soon moved eastward and was forever accepted as designated name for the strain when published in the Red Ranger Stud Book. A high level of gameness and endurance characterized this strain.
The Trigg strain was founded by Col. Haiden Trigg of Kentucky. His aim was to breed a hound with a good coarse voice; black, white and tan blanket-backed; with white points. He crossed Walkers, July, Birdsong and other strains to arrive at his ideal foxhound. After his death, the strain decreased in popularity, but in recent years, has made a strong comeback and is quite popular today. They have big voices and are close track runners.
The July strain came into prominence in Georgia. This strain was preceded by the Birdsong Hounds, native Georgia Hounds, the Henry Hounds from Virginia and Maryland hounds from Howard County, Maryland. In 1858, Mr. Nimrod Gosnell shipped a male hound to Colonel Miles G. Harris of Sparta, Georgia. This hound was named July for the month in which he arrived. This hound was outstanding and others of this strain were imported. July was crossed on the Birdsong and Henry Hounds. George J. Garrett, Col. Gil F. Birdsong, Miles G. Harris and Capt. Dick Baxter were probably the founding breeders of this strain. At one time, this strain was called July-Maryland. This strain, as exists today, is different in conformation from the Walker Hounds.
The Goodman was originally the Mauphin-Maryland strain. Willis Goodman did little or nothing to start this strain, but he was the one who dispersed it over the country. The hound buyers with whom he did business started to call the strain Goodman and it has continued until this day. They were a mixture of Mauphin, Robinson-Maryland and Irish bloodlines.
Otie Calhoun was the original breeder of the Calhoun strain. It originated in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee by the Calhoun family, beginning about 1860.